Yarra Yarra Group began in approximately 1963, with casual meetings in member’s homes. It was then called the Northeastern group. A Spring Flower Show has been an annual event for approximately 40 years.
APS Yarra Yarra meetings are held at 8pm on the first Thursday of each month except January.
Doors open at 7.30pm for plant sales. $2 entry covers supper, speaker, ticket in door prize plants, access to our library, discussion of what’s in flower, and more.
Venue: Orana bldg, Araluen Centre, 226 Old Eltham Road, Lower Plenty, Vic. Melway 21 B9
Promoting Australian Plants
Yarra Yarra Group has 2 major events each year.
- The first is our Autumn Native Plant Sale, which in 2017 is on Saturday 29th April, in the Senior Citizens Centre, 903 Main Road, Eltham, from 10am to 4pm. (N.B. In previous years it has been on the 1st Sunday in May in an outdoor venue).
- The second is our Australian Plants Expo, which is on the second weekend in September, at the Eltham Community & Reception Centre, from 10am to 4pm both days. (In 2016 this was a Plant Sale only, due to the unavailability of our usual venue)
- We also have a huge display of Acacias (Wattles) from our members’ gardens each year at our stall at the Hurstbridge Wattle Festival, which is usually on the last Sunday in August, 10am to 4pm.
Garden Visits/ Excursions
On the Sunday afternoon following meetings, we usually visit a member’s garden, or have another excursion to local bushland or park organised. Occasionally there are bus trips or a weekend away to explore further afield.
Yarra Yarra members receive a monthly newsletter in full colour by email. As a member of APS Victoria also, you will receive a quarterly magazine called ‘Growing Australian’. There is an additional quarterly journal of ANPSA called ‘Australian Plants’ to which you can subscribe independently, for $25.
Community Projects & Donations
- Some unusual plants to complement existing plantings have been donated for the carpark area to Growling Frog Golf Course at 1910 Donnybrook Rd, Yan Yean, 2016.
- Donations of plants to some schools in the Banyule and Nillumbik shires have been made in 2015 and 2016 in exchange for advertising of our major events.
- Donations to Melton Botanic Gardens in 2015 and 2016.
- Plants have been donated for plantings alongside the tracks of the Diamond Valley miniature railway at Eltham Lower Park.
Other local projects are in planning for the near future.
- Members have opportunities for visiting other district group gardens and regions on Quarterly Weekends, as advertised in APS Victoria’s quarterly magazine ‘Growing Australian’.
- APS Victoria also supports the biennial FJC Rogers Seminars which usually promote a particular genus of plants, and are hosted by a district group. These are great weekends of interesting talks, workshops and excursions. Also advertised in ‘Growing Australian’.
- Members can also participate in the full week of activities at the ANPSA‘s Biennial Conference which is hosted by a different State APS organisation each time. There are pre and post tours, as well as the week of lectures, workshops and local excursions.
- Members can join ANPSA Study Groups on a specific genus of plant for minimal cost, receive their newsletters and can join their field trips.